Submitted by Alexandria Ducksworth
How much do you know about your favorite superheroes? Did you know Superman spent 15,000 years in the sun? Tony Stark is the first human to use the Infinity Gauntlet!
Want to know more? Here are eight amazing facts about your favorite comic superheroes:
1. John Constantine has a miserable life. His mother died in childbirth, he lived under his abusive father, and his friends’ spirits haunt him. Talk about a bad break!
2. Doctor Strange wasn’t the only sorcerer supreme candidate. Loki, Storm, Ghost Rider, Magik, Scarlet Witch, and Doctor Doom were other possible choices.
3. The Teenage Mutant Turtles almost had a Bernini. TMNT creators Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman originally planned Asian names for their turtle ninjas, but it was too obvious. Turning to their love of art history, they named the turtles after famous Renaissance artists. Bernini was one of them, but the creators scraped it for not being an o ending name.
4. Hellboy almost became a DC comic hero, but DC comics rejected the idea due to the character’s fiery origins.
5. The Rocketeer had a hard time becoming a movie. Many major movie studios rejected the comic until it finally landed with Disney and there were constant creative conflicts. After all that trouble, the film still bombed in the box office.
6. The Hulk was grey. Colorist Stan Goldberg had a hard time keeping up with the Hulk’s color consistency. Green worked out better, and it became permament.
7. The Avengers formed the Illuminati to prevent the world from further extraterrestrial dangers after the Kree-Skrull War. Its members included Black Bolt, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, and Namor the Sub-Mariner. Black Panther left the group due to internal conflicts.
8. Batman became the God of Knowledge. After the epic battle between Darkseid and Anti-Matter, Batman and other members of the Justice League gained godlike powers. Batman used his newly-gained supreme intellect to find his parents’ killer and learn the Joker’s real name.