Submitted by Jon Freeman
Author Jean Chatzky’s book Money Rules: The Simple Path to Lifelong Security goes over some simple money rules she thinks people should follow. She goes over aspects of managing your money such as saving money, making money, debt, wise spending, investing, and insurance. She shares her advise on finances with simple and short things like:
1. Prioritizing needs versus wants when saving and spending money.
2. Live below your means.
3. Emergencies happen. Save money for them. Use your emergency savings for emergencies.
4. Don’t borrow more for college than you expect to earn the first year out of school.
5. Your retirement trumps your kids tuition.
6. A sale isn’t worth the drive if it doesn’t save you more than the cost of the gas to get there.
7. Invest for tomorrow.
8. If you can’t afford to replace it, insure it.
9. If it has your social security number, back account number, password, or PIN number on it, shred it.
10. Nobody cares about your money as much as you do.
To find more information about managing your finances feel free to take a look at the Gwinnett Library’s Personal Finance GCPL Guide.