Want to dress up like your favorite character from a movie, TV show, or book?
Cosplay is an exciting hobby, and there are lots of factors to consider before creating your first costume.
The first step is choosing a costume that suits you and the event you’ll attend.
Once you have a general idea in mind, ask yourself:
- Where will you wear your cosplay?
- Is the costume easily recognizable?
- Do you resemble the character, or would you have to modify your appearance in order to fit the profile (eg: wearing a wig)?
- How comfortable will your costume be (think about shoes, mobility, and temperature)?
Once you’ve decided which costume you want to wear, then you have to either buy or make it.
If you’re going to make your cosplay, there are some additional considerations:
- Are there any pieces that you would purchase pre-made, or will you make it all from scratch?
- Can you find a tutorial from someone else who has made this costume?
- How much will it cost to buy the components?
- How long will it take to create?
- What skills would it require to make?
Once you answer these questions, you can decide if this costume is right for you and make a plan of action. It’s best to start a cosplay at least a month before an event, especially if you’re making any part of it yourself!
If you’re looking for more resources, check out these materials from our catalog:
Submitted by Sarah Brubaker