You’ll be a happy camper when you participate in our 2023 Summer Reading Challenge! The theme this year is Camp Kindness.
Our Summer Reading Challenge is for readers of all ages. Here is everything you need to know to participate:
Challenge Dates: May 15th – August 15th (Pre-registration begins on April 29)
How to Participate: Create or log into an existing Beanstack account here, register for Camp Kindness 2023 Summer Reading Challenge, and earn prizes by reading and completing activities.
Check out the Beanstack App! Tracking your challenge progress is easier than ever with the Beanstack app. Find it in the App Store and the Google Play Store and keep up-to-date with library fun all summer long.
Make Summer Magical: Gwinnett County’s favorite magician, Ken Scott, will perform at select branches this summer, June 1-3. See our events calendar to find out when he will be at a branch near you.
Track Your Reading: Earn Book Badges by logging the books your child reads this summer on Beanstack. Every book counts, even if it’s the same one over and over!
Activities and Events: Learning happens through doing as much as it does by reading. Find fun storytime events for your little ones all summer. We have in-branch, virtual options, and even a few storytimes at the Splash Pads at E.E. Robinson Park in Sugar Hill and Lilburn City Park during July. Check our events calendar for dates and times.
Prizes: To earn books and entries into our Grand Prize drawing, you only need to log the books you read.
- Log 25 Books: Win a free book!
- Log 50 Books: Win a second free book!
- Log 75 Books: Win a third free book and one entry into the Grand Prize drawing!
- Log 100 Books: Win a fourth free book and an additional entry into the Grand Prize drawing!
The Grand Prize is a toy camping set!
How It Works: Earn points, win prizes!
Earning Points: Log the time you spend reading this summer. Every minute you read earns you a point (1 minute = 1 point). To achieve your goal faster, explore our Activity Badges to earn even more points for learning, doing, and exploring!
Activities and Events: Learn some good camper skills by completing virtual Activity Badges. Check Beanstack to find our badges and see if you can collect them all!
In Branch Events & Puppet Shows!
- Attend our fun puppet shows featuring stories about kindness and camping fun. Our puppets will be visiting all branches from July 14 through July 24. Check our events calendar to find out when we will be in your neck of the woods.
- Percy Jackson fans should join us for the Camp Half-blood & Beyond event on June 6. Find more details on our events calendar.
- And be sure to visit our branches all summer long so you can participate in camp crafts, games, STEM activities, and more for kids and teens!
Prizes: To earn books and entries into our Grand Prize drawings, you only need to log the minutes you spend reading. We encourage you to read 20 minutes a day this summer.
- 140 Points: Win a free book if you are 18 and under.
- 560 Points: Win a second free book if you are 18 and under.
- 1120 Points: Win a third free book if you are 18 and under. Everyone gets one entry into our drawing to win cool camping gear, including a chance at our Grand Prize!
- 1680 Points: Win a fourth free book if you are 18 and under. Everyone gets another entry into our drawing to win cool camping gear, including a chance at our Grand Prize!
Camping prizes: Earning 1120 points or more will get you the chance to win either a pair of binoculars, a camp chair, a hammock, or other fun camping gear. One Grand Prize winner from each branch will receive a Coleman six-person tent!
*All prizes are available while supplies last! Gwinnett County Public Library employees and their immediate families are not eligible to win grand prizes.
Virtual Activities: Participate virtually in our Science Library Google Classroom, where we will offer camping science activities all summer long!