Early Literacy is what a child knows about reading and writing before they learn to read or write.
Research shows that by developing the Six Early Literacy Skills a child will have the foundation for reading and writing success in school.
These 6 pre-literacy skills have been identified as the building blocks to reading instruction and mastering these skills is essential to reading preparedness, Print Awareness, Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Letter Knowledge, Phonological Awareness and Narrative skills.
How do iPads support Early Literacy?
Technology can help promote Early Literacy and enhance the learning experience for pre readers.
iPads offer a multi-sensory tool for engaging a child in a creative, collaborative environment.
- Allows children to hear and manipulate letter sounds for learning.
- Engages children on a multi-sensory level.
- Involves Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic modalities.
- Helps to develop fine motor, language, cognitive, and social skills.
- Promotes an enjoyment of learning through interactive and collaborative play.