- Sign Language for Programs: Sign language interpreting for deaf or hearing impaired children attending any library story hour or program may be arranged by notifying the library at least 10 days before the program. To do so, please contact AskGCPL or call the library at 770-978-5154.
- Large print books and audio books are available at all library branches. Books, DVDs and videos featuring sign language instruction are also available.
- There are also occasional storytime events and other programs scheduled at different branch location. Check the online calendar for more information.
- Georgia Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services (GLASS)
- GARRS: Georgia Radio Reading Service
- NFB Newsline
- Tools for Life: Georgias Assistive Technology Act program
- Georgia Relay (Dial 711)
- Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped Downloadable Books and Magazines (BARD)
- Magazine Downloads from American Printing House for the Blind
- Free Braille Books Program (grades K-6) through American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults
- Bookshare: An Accessible Online Library for people with print disabilities
Access to library materials for the homebound is available to GCPL card holders who are unable to visit branch libraries due to chronic illness, a physical disability or condition. Those who experience a temporary condition which renders them homebound are also eligible for this service.
Mailbox Books is currently only available to Gwinnett County residents.
Glass provides library services for the blind and others whose physical abilities require the use of books and magazines in audio format or in braille. GLASS loans books and magazines in audio and Braille formats, as well as the necessary players. Books and players are mailed back and forth at no cost to the patron.
To access this free service, apply for a GLASS patron account below. Patrons will receive a Talking books machine and free delivery service. Downloadable media is also available for a variety of devices.
You can find the following equipment for in-branch use at the Lawrenceville branch:
- Accessibility PC with high contrast keyboard and roller ball mouse*
- JAWS, ZoomText, and Natural Reader text to speech software
- Prodigi electronic magnifier (desktop and handheld)
- Intel Reader with stand
- Brailliant 40 braille display with USB/Bluetooth connection
- Adjustable height tables and chairs
- Assistive Tool Kits for research and homework*
- Create new Library Cards
- Determine information needs
- Explain library services and policies
GCPL will assist customers with special needs given proper notice (10 working days). Any requests for reasonable accommodations required by individuals to fully participate in any GCPL program or activity should call AskGCPL at (770) 978-5154.