Library Card Policy
March 12, 2007
Board Approved - Revised March 9, 2009
Customers who wish to check out materials from any Gwinnett County Public Library branch or utilize certain other services must have a valid library card. A card may be obtained by individuals and organizations that meet the eligibility requirements outlined below:
Associations, businesses, churches, county government agencies, city government agencies, day care centers and schools located in Gwinnett County may obtain an organizational library card in order to check out materials that are relevant to the activities of the organization.
A library card may be obtained at any age. Parents/guardians are responsible for deciding what kind of library card their child (under age 18) receives. Cards are available with the following checkout options:
- Checkout privileges for the entire collection
- Checkout privileges for the entire collection except items in the Parents' Advisory section.
- Checkout privileges for materials in the Juvenile and Easy collections
In order to qualify for a card at no charge, a person must meet one of the following qualifications:
- Reside in Gwinnett County
- Own property or a business in Gwinnett County
- Be employed by a school in Gwinnett County
- Be employed by Gwinnett County government or city government agencies in Gwinnett County,
- Be a student, faculty member or staff member of the Georgia Gwinnett College
- Be a student, faculty member or staff member of Gwinnett Technical College
Anyone who does not meet one of the criteria listed above may obtain a card for an annual fee based on the amount a Gwinnett County resident contributes towards public library service.
Whether the original card is free of charge or provided for an annual fee, there is a $1.00 charge to replace a lost card.